Well, Khloe had her ear tube surgery this morning and it has been a LONG day. She couldn't eat after midnight and if you know my kid, she DOES eat after midnight...frequently. I decided I was going to wake her up at 11:30 and feed her so she'd be full until morning. Well she ate 4 oz right at 9:00 last night & had eaten her "daily dose" thoughout the day so I decided that I would just let her sleep. I feared that I'd wake her up and she wouldn't want to eat, and then she wouldn't want to go back to sleep. So...I let her be. Then I was so darn anxious all night that she was going to wake up, want food, not be able to have any, and proceed to scream the rest of the night that I didn't sleep a wink! I kept looking at the clock just wishing it was morning and we could "get the show on the road." She ended up awake around 4:15ish, and was obviously wanting a bottle. She started crying. And crying. And crying. I left her in bed knowing that I couldn't give her a bottle, but finally Josh got up and got her. So we were all up and playing at 4:30 this morning. She did alright, a little whiney but we distracted her enough to forget about her hunger!
We left for the hospital around 5:20, enough time to stop through McDonald's for a little breakfast and to get downtown by 6:00 to check-in. We had pre-registered over the phone, twice, so I wasn't sure what we'd have to do when we got there. We got 2 papers to read over, needed to sign 2 other papers, Khloe got her hospital wrist band and then we waited...and waited...and waited. It turns out, they have the first patient come in at 6, but the doctors don't arrive and take patients back for surgery until 7:30! Well, when you have a kid that's been up since 4, and is hungry, that makes for a very long hour and a half. Josh and I did our best song and dance to keep her entertained until finally the doctor came to talk to us. The anesesiologist (I have no idea how to spell that) came and told us what he would be doing and told us the very rare chance for complications. After that I handed my sweet, fleece jammie wearing, black bags under the eyes, fuzzy haired kid off to the nurse. She disappeared through the OR doors. I walked into the waiting room with tear filled eyes and grabbed a cup of coffee & a magazine to occupy my mind.
*I know this is a very quick & routine surgery and this may sound a bit dramatic, but when it's the first time your baby has to go through something like this, it's heart wrenching. Plus, the worry of her being put to "sleep" and the lack of sleep myself, I was lucky I wasn't sobbing.
It was about 10 minutes before the doctor came out and told us she did fine, and they were waiting for her to wake up, and then we'd be allowed to sit with her in recovery. He said that would be about 10 more minutes. After another very long 10 minutes, a nurse came to get us to meet her in recovery...I heard her screaming long before I saw my confused, sleepy, disoriented babe. Josh had made a bottle in the waiting room so I took it out of the bag, snatched her up from the nurse and snuggled her tight. She downed her entire bottle and then proceeded to scream. She continued to scream the entire time the nurses were getting our paperwork ready and her prescription printed off. The poor, sweet baby screamed unconsolably for probably close to 30 minutes before we were ready to go. She did alright on the drive home, but screamed some more once we got home. The doctor said that was totally normal and should stop after noon. Well...it didn't. It's been a long day, she's extremely tired, and finally sleeping again. I think the lack of sleep doesn't add to the weird feeling in her ears. BUT....
My mom reminded me that we should be thankful she was only a crabby baby, and had no complications with the anesthetic or the procedure itself. So, let me just say...while it has been a long day, I am beyond thankful that everything went smoothly and she should be on the road to feeling better soon. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers for today, they were greatly appreciated.
I just gave Guinness a bath, had a little dinner and am off to clean up the kitchen before thinking about bed myself!!! Here's hoping for a good night with the little tyker.
No comments:
Post a Comment