Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Weekend

Well, this weekend didn't turn out exactly like I had planned, but I'm slowly learning that with kids, you have to "roll with the punches". Easter is one of my all-time favorite holidays and we always spend it together with family, preparing Easter baskets, dying eggs, going to church, eating a lot of food, and just spending time together. This year was a little bit different...let me explain.

Friday- I get Khloe out of bed on Friday morning to get her ready for daycare. I thought her forhead felt a little warm, but just chalked it up to her just waking up and her warm jammies. When I got her to daycare I still thought she felt warm, so told her babysitter to call me if she wasn't feeling better later. I called daycare after lunch and found she had a 101.2 fever so made her a doctor's appointment for that afternoon. I left work early, again, and took her to her pediatrician. Her fever was 102 by this time, but her ears and throat looked good so the doctor thought it was probably a viral infection she just needed to let run its course.

My parents were coming to Des Moines for the Easter weekend so we took a semi-crabby baby to the Pizza Ranch for dinner, then managed to get Khloe to sleep on and off throughout the night.

Saturday- Khloe was pretty grouchy on Saturday and we wanted to head to the mall, so we brought Khloe thinking maybe should would just "veg" in her stroller...she loves stroller rides. So did a good job just sitting and relaxing while we walked around the mall. She was getting fussy and looking pretty rough so we headed home. We tried to get her to sleep, but she wasn't having it! She started to feel very warm and was looking worse by the minute. Our pediatrician told us to head to the ER if things were getting worse, but luckily we decided she needed to be seen before the Urgent Care closed for the weekend. So my mom kept us company while we waited at Urgent Care. Khloe had Motrin a few hours prior to going to the doctor, and had a 104.4 fever when we got there. The doctor said her throat looked very red (I was suspecting Strep again, as this is exactly how she was before whens he had it). He didn't even do a strep test, but decided she needed more meds. She had been on 3 rounds of antibiotics for her ears, 30 straight days and had literally been off of them for a day and a half. The doctor decide to change things up a bit and gave her an antibiotic shot along with another dose of oral antibiotics. So with that we headed hom. The night just got worse. I've never seen her so sick, she literally laid in someone's arms for hours on end without moving. She wasn't sleeping, just laying. I even fed her some yogurt while my mom was holding her, and she didn't even lift her head up off her shoulder, just opened her mouth. It was SO sad.


My mom and I took turns holdling Khloe all through the night. She screamed whenever you put her down flat, or in her bed, so my mom held her in the rocking chair and slept, while I propped her up with me on the couch and slept. It was a long-short night!!!

Sunday- We had hoped Khloe would be feeling better by morning because I had heard those shots work much quicker than an oral antibiotic. She acted much better than Saturday, but she was still not ready for public. So, we decided we didn't all need to miss church. My dad volunteered to stay home with her while my mom and I went to church. It was an absolutely amazing service and I'm glad that we were able to go and enjoy it. We had planned on going to Wakonda to visit daddy and eat Easter brunch, but again, Khloe was in no shape to be around people so instead we went to Applebee's for take-out and ate at home. My dad took Khloe for a couple stroller rides around the block to keep her happy for a while, we all took turns holding her and pacing around the house too. My parents left around 4 and Josh got home around 6. She's still pretty crabby and whiney, but it iseems like she's slowly feeling better.

It wasn't exactly how I envisioned my Easter weekend, especially since I had family in town. I felt horrible that my parents ended up sitting around our house helping me with a sick kiddo instead of enjoying Easter with other family. They of course reassured me that they came to see us, and they didn't mind all the snuggles with Khloe! Again, I'm learning that plans are sometimes changed last minute with a little one. I am just very sad Khloe missed Easter. I have no pictures of her in her pretty Easter dress for you. Maybe next year.

Hope you had a fabulous Easter holiday and spent it with family you love!

Thanks to my mom and dad for all of their help this weekend, it would have been a LONG 2 days alone while Josh was at work all weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment